Northern Transgender Health Clinic
The Northern Transgender Health Clinic was formed in August 2015 to support a growing need for trans care in Northern BC. The clinic provides medical care and support to transgender individuals. These services are offered by our inter-professional team, which includes physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, mental health clinicians and pharmacists. We also collaborate with pediatricians, psychiatrists and psychologists when applicable to support the assessment and transition process. Our goal is to provide safe, effective and timely care to transgender patients, as well as increase awareness of transgender health issues in our community.
What services are provided ?
- Hormone readiness assessmentHormone Readiness Assessment: evaluation conducted by a healthcare professional to determine if a patient is ready to begin hormone therapy.
- Hormone therapy (hormone) therapyHormone Therapy (HT): administration of sex hormones for the purpose of bringing one’s secondary sex characteristics more in line with one’s gender identity; hormone replacement therapy; HRT; transhormonal therapy.
- Education and support for primary care providers (GPs and NPs) to follow and monitor hormone therapy once we have initiated it, especially for out of town patients (minimize travel)
- Referral for surgical readiness assessment Surgical Readiness Assessment: evaluation conducted by a healthcare professional to determine if a patient is ready to be referred for gender-affirming surgery.
- Pre-operative information and education
- Post-operative care
- Counselling for trans youth, adults, and their families
- Connecting patients to peer support networks in the community
Who can access Northern Transgender Health Clinic?
Services are provided to:
- Anyone living in Northern BC or for whom travel to Prince George is the most convenient way to access gender affirming care.
- Children/Youth of any age –we can help coordinate appropriate referral to specialized children/youth mental health clinicians and pediatric endocrinologist (hormone specialist) when required.
- Gender diverse and transgender adults seeking gender affirming support and medical care.
- Families of transgender patients.
How do I book an appointment?
You can ask your primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) to refer you (that way we have some background information from them as well).
You can self refer if you do not have a primary care provider or do not feel comfortable to approach them.
Is there a cost?
Services are covered under MSP (medical services plan) so you do not have to pay anything to access care
Where is the clinic?
The clinic runs out of the Blue Pine Primary Healthcare Clinic, located in The Commonwealth Building on 7th Ave and Quebec Street in downtown Prince George
Blue Pine Clinic
Suite 102- 1302 7th Ave
Prince George, BC
fax: (250) 596-8101
tel: (250) 596-8100
How do I find businesses that sell gender-affirming products?
You can Contact Us for more information.