Options for Coming Out
There are many options for coming out. You might come out in person (i.e. face to face or by phone) or in writing (i.e. email or letter). Some people come out in person to those they are closest to, and in writing to others. An additional option is to write a letter that you read in person.
The advantages of coming out in writing are that:
- You can take your time and think about exactly what you want to say
- You can ask other people to read what you’ve written and get feedback
- You can speak your truth before answering questions
- You don’t have to hear a person’s initial response (initial responses can be intense, but often mellow after reflection)
- The recipient can go back and read it again and again