Parents and Caregivers
This section of our website is for parents and caregivers of gender creative children and trans youth.
We know that parenting a gender creative child or trans youth can have its challenges. It can also be a rewarding experience filled with love and learning.
We know that as parents and caregivers, you want the very best for your child. You also deserve to have the information and support you need as you navigate your family’s unique journey.
We hope the information provided here will help you to support your child in exploring and expressing their authentic gender selves, so they can meet their fullest potential in life.
We invite you to explore these topics as part of your journey:
- Gender Basics
- Gender Health
- Gender Development in Childhood
- Support Systems
- Peer and Professional Support
- Social Affirmation and Transition
- Medical Affirmatiion and Transition
- Navigating Systems of Care
We have linked to additional resources on each page. Some are links to freely available websites and documents. Others are books and videos. If you would like help locating the resources you need, here are a few options:
- BC Children’s Hospital Family Support and Resource Centre has a variety of health resources that can be borrowed for 30 days. You can pick them up in Vancouver or have them mailed to your home – return postage included. You can search “transgender” in their library for a full listing of resources.
- Your local library may have copies of some of the books on our list.
- Contact Us to speak with a staff member. We have copies of some resources in our office and are always happy to connect with you by e-mail or phone to provide support and information.