Primary Care Providers

A primary care provider (PCP) is your main health care provider in non-emergency situations. They perform your routine check ups, identify and treat common medical conditions, and make referrals as needed. Your PCP could be a General Practitioner (GP), Nurse Practitioner (NP), or Family Physician.

Role of primary care providers

Trans people often have unique health needs, but for most part they are not medically complex.

Learn more...

With a willingness to learn, your local PCP can work with you to ensure your health needs are met. For example, a primary care provider can:

    • Assist you with exploring  hormone therapy and gender affirming surgeryoptions
    • Prescribe hormone therapy
    • Monitor your hormone therapy
    • Refer you to MSP for gender-affirming surgical readiness assessments
    • Support you emotionally

Not all health care providers feel comfortable initiating hormone therapy, and may require a letter from a mental health professional before writing you a prescription. We hope that as more clinicians learn about trans health this will occur less frequently. If your PCP has questions about trans health care, support is available to them through the Rapid Access to Consultative Expertise Line that they can call to receive consultation from a doctor with trans health expertise.

Please note, at this time, nurse practitioners cannot prescribe testosterone.

Services for people living in the VCH region

If you are a trans or gender diverse person living in the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Region (Vancouver, Richmond, North Shore, and Coastal/Rural), you can access specialized gender-affirming primary health care through two Trans* Specialty Care clinics in Vancouver: Three Bridges Clinic and Raven Song Clinic.

Learn more...

To access Trans* Specialty Care, call the intake nurse at (604) 633-4248 and leave a message. Let the nurse know if it is okay to leave you a return voice message. The nurse will identify the clinic that is able to see you, and provide you with a date and time for an initial consultation appointment.

More services

Several health care providers in the Lower Mainland who aren’t affiliated with VCH also provide gender-affirming care. For more information, Contact Us.

VCH services for people living outside the region

If you live outside the VCH Region, you may be able to access Trans* Specialty Care if you:

Learn more...

    • Are a youth (ages 24 and under)
    • Are a refugee claimant
    • Have complex mental health issues
    • Have post‐operative complications from gender-affirming surgery

Youth services

Youth ages 24 and under, from anywhere in the province, can access the Three Bridges Youth Clinic Drop-In, at 1292 Hornby Street in Vancouver from Monday to Friday between 4pm and 8pm (except holidays). The PCP’s at Three Bridges are experienced in providing gender-affirming care.

Services outside the Vancouver Coastal Health Region

Most regional health authorities in British Columbia do not have a formal system in place for trans and gender diverse primary care.

Learn more...

You can search the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons website for PCPs accepting patients in your area. Contact their office to see if they have experience in trans health care, or a willingness to learn. You can also contact us for recommendations of a gender-affirming PCP in your area.

If you find a primary care provider who is willing to support you but needs assistance, you can:

    • Suggest that they read the WPATH Standards of Care to educate themselves.
    • Encourage them to contact us for information about upcoming training sessions on providing gender-affirming care.

The Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre is a volunteer-run clinic providing care for trans and gender diverse clients. If you are willing to travel to Vancouver, you can ask to be put on the medical waitlist by emailing